Monday, September 10, 2012

Athens, Part Three

     Well, it's another year and another fresh start here in Athens and at Wesley! This year has been wonderful so far, and I look forward to the challenges that will be coming my way as I explore new parts of the internship over the next ten months.
     Unlike my previous time at Wesley, I will split my concentration between more than one ministry area. Although I will continue to help direct the International Student Ministry, I will also be taking on mission trips. This added responsibility includes making/solidifying contacts at the locations to which we will travel, booking flights/accommodations, negotiating prices, collecting money from the 400 odd people that travel with Wesley every year, and providing much needed support to the leaders of each trip. It's a lot of work, but I am very excited to be a part of such an important facet of this ministry. I am also blessed to disciple (i.e. mentor) eight girls, three of which are first year interns. At least I won't be bored!
     Being part of the trip team is helpful to me in multiple ways, as I will be leading another trip to China this summer! I will lead the trip with another intern who went on the trip two years ago as a student. Since both of us have experienced a bit of China in the past, I hope that we can brainstorm and pray for God to reveal how to improve and strengthen the trip. We want to be a blessing to the missionaries that we visit there and we want this trip to impact both us and the people we meet. If there is anything that I have learned from going on/leading short term trips, it's that intentionality is key!
     Below are a few pictures from our most recent Snack n Chat, a photo scavenger hunt. I don't have any pictures of the actual running around, but I can confirm that we made the groups work hard for their points - we made sure that we included places from all over downtown Athens on the list! Many of our students were stressed about important upcoming tests, so it was nice to hang out and enjoy ourselves.

Thanks for reading!


Awaiting instructions

The winning group!

No comments:

Post a Comment