Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Merry Christmas!

Dear Friends and Family,

I apologize for not updating this blog more often! If you look back on some of my other entries, you'll see that this is not the first time I've neglected my updates, but I am so grateful for your readership. This semester has been the busiest and most challenging few months of my Wesley career, but I am excited to be able to share a bit of what I've been up to so far as a director!

First of all, my primary responsibilities this year are overseeing our international student ministry and planning/managing our 12 Spring Break and summer mission trips. I also mentor six staff and student girls, coordinate the Wesley building's schedule (a job that has become more complicated now that there are two churches renting our facility out during the week), and keep track of all the keys to the building (of which there are hundreds and are often mislaid by one of the 70 odd staff members who need them for various events, etc).

 In many ways, my job has become more administrative than ever before, and I have to admit that I enjoy being the authority figure over the ministries I've loved and been a part of for these past three years. On the other hand, being the one in charge can also be a bit daunting! Please be in prayer for me as I lead my 4 ISM interns and coordinate the nearly 350 students/staff going on or leading a mission trip this year (and all the money that goes along with them!).

Speaking of mission trips, I'm pleased to announce our trip line up for this year! For Spring Break, we're going to -

Bethel School of Ministry (Redding, CA)
Cuba
Honduras 
Jamaica
LA
NY
IHOP (Kansas City, MI)

And our summer trips are to -

China
Ecuador
Montenegro
Mozambique
Scotland

The purpose of taking a mission trip through Wesley is to come beside long term missionaries for a short time, gaining insight into what they do and are called to, encouraging them in their work, allowing the Lord to cultivate a love for the people or country we visit, and building community with our brothers and sisters in Christ wherever we go. I am very proud to be apart of this process, and I am very excited about all the people with whom we will be working, all of whom are Wesley alumni or connected to a church in Athens. 

Please also keep the second weekend of January (the 10-11th) in your prayers. That weekend will be Wesley's Second Annual Missions Conference, and I am in charge of coordinating all of it! We have some excellent speakers coming in, and the teams will get a chance to spend time together, so it should be an awesome event. However, I'm still feeling overwhelmed! Please pray for guidance, especially during this holiday season when motivation for planning has waned dramatically.

Well, that about sums up my first semester as a director! If you have any questions, or would like to hear more, just email me back, or leave a comment on this post. I'd love to tell you more about my job!

I'll leave you with a few pictures from our last few Snack n Chats:
Thanksgiving dinner - we had nearly 250 people from nearly 20 countries!

Members of Athens First United Methodist volunteered to be table hosts

Me and my ISM interns in front of the tree the international students decorated at the Christmas Snack n Chat
(I'm the one on the far right!)

Wesley staff and international students sing Christmas carols in their native languages


No comments:

Post a Comment