Tuesday, February 8, 2011

"Let China sleep, for when she awakes, she will shake the world."


I chose this quote by Napoleon not only because I was enamored by the historical aspect of it, but also because I believe that this is an accurate description of how the Gospel has the potential to move through the Chinese people as a nation. The fact that we are leaving for China in May has only heightened my interest in the work I am doing at Wesley with our international students. Whenever I tell my friends that I am about to visit their home country, I see an eager desire in them to share their culture with me in a new way. They tell me all the places that I should go, what I should bring back (tea), and what I should be sure to eat while I'm there. Their anticipation of my experience is so exciting, and I absolutely cannot wait until I'm on the plane headed to Beijing!

In the meantime, our group is reading The Heavenly Man by Brother Yun. I have wanted to read his autobiography for some time, so I am glad that I will finally have the discipline to do so. I hope that it will be a chance for us to understand more of what is going on in China's house churches and the heart that God has specifically for China. From the experience that I have had with my Chinese friends, I know that Chinese culture is warm, welcoming, and very community-oriented. It is obvious how God is already at work in Chinese culture, and I am so glad that I get to witness it.

No comments:

Post a Comment